On the Dark Days....


Pic - 'My Best Friend Beanie'

Sometimes life throws a ball under your feet, and while you stumble, stagger and do that crazy cartoon dance where your feet are a blur, you think to yourself.... What happens next?

It's not a simple matter to drag yourself up by the scruff of the neck and shake yourself - sometimes it's damn near impossible. I've talked a lot about the emotional energies in art - sometimes the translation has to be that of real life.
Because that's where the artist is at.

I've had the kind of month that would have made Mother Theresa give up God and go bungee jumping...without the rope. Mentally, I'm exhausted. Emotionally, I'm shattered. Physically, I'm a bundle of raw nerves. Spiritually, I'm hanging on for grim death - but it's all gotta go somewhere, and it's all gotta have a purpose, a reason, a life of its own. Because I'm an artist. It's what I do.
(cue orchestral swell)

I haven't posted a lot of my darker works online, mainly because most people find them confrontational and want to judge them on the merits of me as a person, not my work as an artist. But in recent days, I've felt that the best of my work is in that style - it's when I am the most passionate, the most adamant, the most fervent - the source is pure, the restrictions are gone, and quite frankly my dears, I just don't give a damn. I view this as a development in me personally, and in the work of the art itself - when I'm not thinking of the work as anything more than a translation of the experience, I am my most honest.

So let's see what happens next.....